Our little guy started school on Wednesday. He will be going 3 mornings a week and I think Justin might be the one who is the most shocked. He will be 16 months next week and in Justin’s mind he is still too young to be in school. I’m elated and amazed at how much I can get done when he is not by my side. The Friday Favs this week are what have helped us get little guy getting set for school. Here we go:
1. I posted a picture on Instagram of some carrot zucchini muffins I made for his first lunch at school. These were pretty simple to whip up.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (I ❤️ the Trader Joe’s.)
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I ❤️ Penzeys.)
1 cup finely grated zucchini (I peeled it before I grated it.)
1/2 cup finely grated carrot (I peeled this too before grating.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir till combined.
- In a larger mixing bowl stir together maple syrup, vanilla, butter, and egg.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just till combined.
- Add carrots and zucchini and stir just till combined.
- Fill each cup in the mini muffin pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. When they come out of the oven I let them cool on a trivet for a couple minutes and then I took them out of the muffin tin and transferred them to wax paper to thoroughly cool. (Also I wrapped most of them individually in foil and put them in a bag in the freezer.)
2. While teaching preschool I was introduced to Mabel’s Labels. I knew from then that when I had a kid I would definitely be using their products. I ordered little guy a set with elephants 🐘 . They are so cute and I love how every single thing I send to school has his name on it (jacket, wipes container, lunchbox, backpack,etc). (Sorry no picture but trust me, so cute!)
3. I have posted before about R’s lunchbox but I am reposting because after packing a lunch in it I am even more in 💙 with it. His lunchbox is a Planet Box and to be more specific… his is using the rover. In his first lunch he had: cut up apples, Annie’s whole wheat bunny crackers, cubes of cheddar cheese, and two mini carrot zucchini muffins.His lunchbox has an ice pack on top and is placed in a planet box slim sleeve. When I pulled it out Wednesday afternoon to wash it I was really happy because it’s a breeze to clean 😀. I’m going to try to get a picture of R holding his lunchbox in the next few days.
One last picture of him at school.
(I blurred out the other kiddos for privacy.)