This week was definitely devoted to learning…. It was pretty much the theme of our week and I have always thought that if you don’t try you’ll always wonder what might of been…
1. Do not go to the zoo on a holiday. I am. It sure why I thought we should embrace our zoo membership and go on Monday (Presidents’ Day). Kids are out of school and it was raining which was not great. The plus side was Justin was with us and we managed to see a couple of things and then head out in about 30 minutes (fish, monkeys, penguins, and flamingos)… success in our books
2. When it comes to ice cream cone cake pops… Do not make the cake balls too big or they won’t sit right on the ice cream cones… I learned this after I had done all of the chocolate so the vanilla ones turned out way better.
3. Last thing… we attempted was breakfast for dinner last night. I tried out this recipe for drop biscuits. I omitted the cream of tartar (Marcy, I think of you every time I see this word FYI 😊) and they were terrible… so bland and blah… Anyone have any suggestions? I have a great buttermilk biscuit recipe but I wanted to make something easier last night and it was no good.
Have a great weekend!
This week was a very Valentine’s filled week (as seen in the collage above). Justin made heart shaped pancakes with this recipe (our only change to it is he adds a teaspoon of vanilla extract.) We froze a bunch of them which is great for easy breakfast for R. My mom watched R for us on Tuesday which was wonderful because Justin and I went out for lunch at our fav, Matt’s Bar. It’s hard to bring R there because it does take some time to get the food so this was a treat. We munched on heart shaped cookie cake and heart shaped pizza throughout the week… really I can’t think of anything better. I think the highlight though for R was the red Mylar balloon we got him. He ❤s it so much. He keeps calling it bamoon (l’s are hard.) He drags it all over the house. I’m looking forward to seeing some friends the next few days and possibly taking R to the zoo next week.
Lots of ❤
This past weekend I met my pal Alli for brunch at Hola Arepa. We each agreed that it truly is amazing to sit down and have a meal together without kids and get to talk and hear what’s been been going on in each other’s lives. I’ve been there for dinner and really like the beef and plantain Arepa but I had never been for brunch. Let me tell you the brunch menu rocks. We split two dishes.
Fried Chicken and Cachapas
On a completely different note let’s play a game… Can you tell the difference between these two pictures?
There are probably a couple differences but the big one is the coffee table is gone… R has decided his favorite thing to do now is climb on the coffee table and pull himself to standing and then proceed to march on the table… Alas the cofffee table is on vacation (moved to downstairs) until we get past this crazy climbing phase… The plus side there is tons of room for dancing and playing.
One more thing that I love that Galina suggested is we have brought a step stool out and placed it next to the couch… It helps R get up on the couch which is great because he is constantly moving and it’s nice to let him do stuff like this himself.
Any great suggestions for a child who loves to climb?
Also where are your favorite places to brunch?
(❤Valentine’s Day 2016❤)
It’s February! I feel like I am in a small group when it comes to loving this month… I give credit to my mom majorly because she started me at a young age loving all the hearts and everything… I’m rambling though…. I’ve decided to make this edition of Friday Favs targeted towards all things associated with Valentine’s Day… Also I am not calling this a gift giving guide for spouses bfs/gfs… Justin does not like this holiday so I never count on him to be into it… I am making it more about R and me… plus I think that it is perfectly acceptable to shower ones self with lots of ❤.
1. Books- I have bought a couple for R.
Love this one
2. Decorations- When R gets older we will go crazy with these… for now I just have these on the mantle.
3. Pink and Red stuff- I’m obsessed with the Polaroid Snap Touch Digital Camera. I really like the red one (hint hint… to myself… let’s be honest 😂) Also all of the cute Valentine’s Day stuff at William Sonoma and these socks from Woven Pear (love this brand, especially living in Minnesota where you take your shoes off all the time.. it’s fun to have cute socks) and this ❤sweatshirt.
4. Cards- one day I will get my act together around Valentine’s Day and be organized and send a cute family photo card via Shutterfly or something but alas this is not the year… Also I must say there are some super cute valentine card sets out there: this one, these, and last these dinos.
5. Restaurant ideas- I would highly suggest to my fellow Minnesotans since Valentine’s Day is on a Thursday this year… take advantage of Cafe Lurcat Sunday Date Night. It’s a wonderful deal, beautiful atmosphere and great food… we haven’t been in a while but I imagine it’s still good… when all else fails though and your home with kiddos like us… I would suggest a heart shaped pizza… I found out that Giordanos is selling heart shaped from Friday, February 10 through Friday,February 17. You can even order it parbaked and finish in your oven… which we have done a couple times and it’s great. Dessert is my jam and I do love to bake but, a cookie cake from Mrs. Fields in a heart shape (my favorite dessert) would be fun to have with family and/or friends too.
(Homemade heart cake pops … Valentine’s Day before R)
Sending lots of ❤
It’s January and lots of people are on New Year resolution kicks… I am not doing that however, I am trying to get back to eating more salads and veggies. Does anyone else find that hard especially in the winter? Lately when I go to the grocery nothing looks super appealing to me… whereas in the summer when we go to farmers markets I feel I enjoy veggies more and look forward to incorporating them in meals.
I picked up a great salad from Potbelly one day this week for lunch.
Also while on the salad kick… this dressing is amazing. We had it on Caesar salad at my in laws and I loved it… we bought it and made a quick Caesar salad with grilled chicken for dinner one night this week.
On another note…
This is how I spent last weekend…
R had a bad cold so we stayed at home and watched tons of Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and of course Despicable Me (my favorite). I know I rave about this chair a bunch but omg it’s probably one of R’s top 5 favs for the last month and I ❤️ it too! He spent a lot of time in it last weekend.
That’s about all I am going to share with you from this past week…It was somewhat of a crazy week trying to get R back in his groove… I’m very excited to meet up with friends this coming weekend and to spend some time with my little family too. Also I am going to meal plan like crazy this weekend in hopes of some veggie filled meals for next week.
Happy Friday Friends!
I started working on this post earlier this week but even as I finish it today (Thursday) my brain is mush and I can’t fathom a title… this post does not focus on a central aspect so it’s a hodgepodge…
I managed to photograph one dinner this week. We made Barefoot Contessa’s tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons. This does not photograph well but omg it’s sooo good. This was my first time using saffron. I got it last weekend at Penzeys. I felt like this recipe made a lot so I would suggest being smarter than we were and freezing some or invite some family/friends over to enjoy it with you.
Mucci’s Italian has been making doughnuts on Saturdays and Sundays since February of last year… I can’t believe it took me this long to venture over to St Paul to grab some doughnuts for us. I can promise you these are worth the drive and very delicious.
My favorite was the chocolate glazed. R really enjoyed the vanilla glazed with sprinkles. I noticed when I went to pick these up that you can choose to buy your doughnuts at the counter and eat them there. We will definitely be going back soon. 🍩❤️
R is growing up and this week we put his highchair downstairs. He has been trying to pull a chair out at the table and we decided to embrace it and start having him sit at the table in a booster chair. See that broccoli… He wouldn’t eat it… but doesn’t it look pretty in the picture… Next imagine it flung all over the table… 😂 Toddlers… I need a handbook of how to deal… no one tells you how meal times change when you give a toddler a fork… At least Leo is enjoying this change. Thank goodness for the Ezpz mat… it sticks to the table so he can’t lift it up and fling all his food.
While we are on the topic of R I must share 2 things that are making bath time fun… Elmo bath book and Very Hungry Caterpillar bath book. I found both on Amazon. When R gets a bath these 2 books are requested multiple times. His favorite words lately are Elmo and apple.
Hope your weekend is full of lots of fun!
I felt like a broken record the last few weeks. I kept saying I am going to menu plan and cook a couple nights but for some reason it took some time to get back in the groove. I menu planned this past weekend and typed up a grocery list too. It helped to grocery shop on Saturday because I found it less crazy then when I usually go on Sunday.
I posted this picture on Instagram a few days ago of a cupcake that I made. I got the recipe from a good friend that I grew up with. These cupcakes are something that her mom is well known for and bring back many childhood memories.
I didn’t only make cupcakes this week… I roasted two very different chickens on Tuesday night. This one I made and nixed the brine and the thyme because I didn’t have it. It was so great and we ended up making BBQ baked potatoes with it. Here is a picture of my leftover lunch one day… delish 🙂
We made our trusted herb roasted chicken too. I think I might be tired of chicken now…. send steak and fish 😊
R is even more on the move then we could imagine. He is climbing on everything and sitting on everything too… poor Leo (see below)
It’s been a really cold week and we might be getting a little stir crazy….
Hope you have a fantastic weekend and stay warm!